I LOVE ROTARY

I LOVE ROTARY. I am sure you do too! Together we have to work to make our District bigger and more impactful. We have to grow our membership responsibly and share our love for Rotary with everyone. We don't need more "members". We need more ROTARIANS!

Friday 12 August 2011

Comments from Rtn Dr Arasu (RC Bandar Sunway) on the recent KL MAPS


It was an awsome experience attending the MAPS seminar and it was well beyond my expectations. I am so glad that I participated. This is my first seminar and workshop that I was attending as a Rotarian since joining this wonderful club. There were 90 rotarians (mostly Past Presidents and Membership Chairs) from 31 clubs in KL and Selangor.

The MAPS was declared open by DG Dr Ravee who gave us a rousing speech laden with much food for thought. The majority of sessions were conducted interactively and invoked a lot of participation from the Rotarians present. Almost every view raised in the seminar was given serious consideration and it was an enormous learning experience for me. To be truthful, when I was absorbed into the Board as an alternate to PP Sinnu, I had no inkling of on how to carry out the responsibilities but thanks to this seminar, I can play a more active role in the membership development of the Club.

The primary message in the seminar was that as Rotarians we should live a life of service to others so that the memory of our deeds will live long after we have gone. The other key message that I got was a simple one yet exceedingly meaningful for the growth of Rotary - if we think what we do as Rotarians is important, then we must spread our message of hope more vigorously and with great commitment’.
We must approach potential members in the general public and share our passion and commitment for  humanitarian service. Now our club’s proposed PR project of sending leaflets promoting Rotary in the vicinity of Sunway and the recent floral project in Putra Jaya makes a lot more sense to me after attending this seminar.
The conclusion at the seminar is that we do not need just members - we need more Rotarians who truly believe in service to humanity and dutifully commit some time for that purpose. We simply do not have enough committed Rotarians for the needs of the less fortunate and hence the need to recruit more. Membership development in simple terms is about ensuring that we leave a legacy of good so that more will be inspired to do the same in the future.
 
‘There is no higher religion than human service. To work for the common good is the greatest creed.’- Albert Schweitzer.

No comments:

Post a Comment